Has anyone tried any other operating system besides Windows, Linux, or Mac OS?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows Forum' started by jrwap, Feb 7, 2002.

1. jrwap

jrwap
    Expand Collapse
    Admin

I would be interested to hear about what else is out there. I haven't used anything besides windows... well OK I haves used DOS but that doesn't count. Just wondering if anyone around here has tried any other operation system offering.

-JRW

2. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN
    Expand Collapse
    Lost in space

I played around with FreeBSD 4.2, I liked it and it was fast but I had too many hardware conflicts and at the time I never touched a nix system so I got tired of it pretty quick, once we move and I have more room for pc stuff I am going to get another machine setup just to practice with it.

3. Anveo

Anveo
    Expand Collapse

I would say FreeBSD is probally the best free unix-like OS out there for desktop use. I'm not a fan of linux but I use FreeBSD and OpenBSD a lot. Personally I think Windows is much better platform for desktop apps and gaming, but for development and networking nothing beats a *nix platform. I use FreeBSD for all the development I do, and I have an OpenBSD box on an old 486 to do NAT and firewall.

4. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN
    Expand Collapse
    Lost in space

I just seen that FreeBSD is out in 4,5 stable release now. I may have to give it another shot on the server. Should have support for everything now :)

5. jstanden

jstanden
    Expand Collapse

All our new hosting machines are FreeBSD 4.4 or 4.5. Heavy-duty, we're really happy with it.

6. faolán

faolán
    Expand Collapse
    sith geek

Used BeOS once.

Had a Mac way back in the day, but could just never quite get into the OS, except for OS-X now which is Unix-based.

I've used various flavors of Linux including Redhat, Mandrake, Slackware, Debian, and a tiny bit of SuSE and Caldera. Versions of Unix would include Solaris, FreeBSD, NetBSD, some SCO, and OpenBSD on a daily basis for firewall/router and web/mail servers.