•  

Photo
- - - - -

Has anyone tried any other operating system besides Windows, Linux, or Mac OS?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jrwap

jrwap

Admin

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 08 February 2002 - 03:45 AM

I would be interested to hear about what else is out there. I haven't used anything besides windows... well OK I haves used DOS but that doesn't count. Just wondering if anyone around here has tried any other operation system offering.

-JRW

#2 NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN

Lost in space

• Administrators
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 08 February 2002 - 05:21 AM

I played around with FreeBSD 4.2, I liked it and it was fast but I had too many hardware conflicts and at the time I never touched a nix system so I got tired of it pretty quick, once we move and I have more room for pc stuff I am going to get another machine setup just to practice with it.

#3 Guest_Anveo_*

Guest_Anveo_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2002 - 09:45 PM

I would say FreeBSD is probally the best free unix-like OS out there for desktop use. I'm not a fan of linux but I use FreeBSD and OpenBSD a lot. Personally I think Windows is much better platform for desktop apps and gaming, but for development and networking nothing beats a *nix platform. I use FreeBSD for all the development I do, and I have an OpenBSD box on an old 486 to do NAT and firewall.

#4 NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN

Lost in space

• Administrators
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 21 February 2002 - 06:15 AM

I just seen that FreeBSD is out in 4,5 stable release now. I may have to give it another shot on the server. Should have support for everything now :)

#5 Guest_jstanden_*

Guest_jstanden_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2002 - 05:11 AM

All our new hosting machines are FreeBSD 4.4 or 4.5. Heavy-duty, we're really happy with it.

#6 faolán

faolán

sith geek

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 April 2003 - 09:11 PM

Used BeOS once.

Had a Mac way back in the day, but could just never quite get into the OS, except for OS-X now which is Unix-based.

I've used various flavors of Linux including Redhat, Mandrake, Slackware, Debian, and a tiny bit of SuSE and Caldera. Versions of Unix would include Solaris, FreeBSD, NetBSD, some SCO, and OpenBSD on a daily basis for firewall/router and web/mail servers.