•  

Welcome to PC Tech Talk

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to PC Tech Talk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of PC Tech Talk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Has anyone tried any other operating system besides Windows, Linux, or Mac OS?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jrwap

jrwap

Admin

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 08 February 2002 - 03:45 AM

I would be interested to hear about what else is out there. I haven't used anything besides windows... well OK I haves used DOS but that doesn't count. Just wondering if anyone around here has tried any other operation system offering.

-JRW

#2 NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN

Lost in space

• Administrators
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 08 February 2002 - 05:21 AM

I played around with FreeBSD 4.2, I liked it and it was fast but I had too many hardware conflicts and at the time I never touched a nix system so I got tired of it pretty quick, once we move and I have more room for pc stuff I am going to get another machine setup just to practice with it.

#3 Guest_Anveo_*

Guest_Anveo_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2002 - 09:45 PM

I would say FreeBSD is probally the best free unix-like OS out there for desktop use. I'm not a fan of linux but I use FreeBSD and OpenBSD a lot. Personally I think Windows is much better platform for desktop apps and gaming, but for development and networking nothing beats a *nix platform. I use FreeBSD for all the development I do, and I have an OpenBSD box on an old 486 to do NAT and firewall.

#4 NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN

Lost in space

• Administrators
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 21 February 2002 - 06:15 AM

I just seen that FreeBSD is out in 4,5 stable release now. I may have to give it another shot on the server. Should have support for everything now :)

#5 Guest_jstanden_*

Guest_jstanden_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2002 - 05:11 AM

All our new hosting machines are FreeBSD 4.4 or 4.5. Heavy-duty, we're really happy with it.

#6 faolán

faolán

sith geek

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 April 2003 - 09:11 PM

Used BeOS once.

Had a Mac way back in the day, but could just never quite get into the OS, except for OS-X now which is Unix-based.

I've used various flavors of Linux including Redhat, Mandrake, Slackware, Debian, and a tiny bit of SuSE and Caldera. Versions of Unix would include Solaris, FreeBSD, NetBSD, some SCO, and OpenBSD on a daily basis for firewall/router and web/mail servers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users