•  

Photo
- - - - -

How to protect your privacy while using BitComet (UPD 8 Nov)

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 JiMiThInG

JiMiThInG

• Members
  • 3,664 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 01:55 PM

Ability to block IP temporarily or permanently, compatible with eMule ipfilter.dat

An IP Filter will block a list of known bad IP addresses (computers) from connecting to your BitComet. These lists contain many IP addresses used by groups who work for organizations like the RIAA and MPAA. While nothing can be 100% effective, an IP Filter will provide you with at least some degree of protection and help minimize the risk of your privacy being compromised. The following IP Filter is recommended: ShadowCast IP Filter Rev.43 (592KB).

Update | 8th November 2005 : Added the latest revision (43) of ShadowCast's IP Filter -Dragosani

To open this file you will need an archive manager capable of decompressing RAR files, such as WinRAR or IZArc.

Once opened, simply drag and drop the new ipfilter.dat to your BitComet\Rules folder or select the ipfilter.dat file then click the Extract To button and browse to your BitComet\Rules folder (usually located in C:\Program Files\BitComet\rules)

Posted Image

Posted Image

If BitComet is running, you should restart it at your earliest convenience so the new IP Filter will be used.

The home of the ShadowCast IP Filter can be found here, but I will update this thread whenever a new version is released so make sure you check back often.

<hr width=50% align=left>
For additional information about IP Filters, please see the following sites/guides:

http://www.emule-pro... ... pic_id=142
http://www.bluetack.co.uk/convert.html
http://forum.emule-p... ... opic=10128

Predefined IP Filters can be downloaded here:

http://www.morph-mod...er/ipfilter.dat
http://www.iespana.e...ER/ipfilter.dat

#2 Geh

Geh

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 02:02 PM

Or for a more convienient solution and protection if you run multiple p2p apps you could just use peerguardian. It auto updates so should be easier (you can also add additional urls to any compatible lists to the updating option)

#3 at

at

Cow-in-development

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 12:34 AM

Let's say you are running an ip blocker -- a good one such as PeerGuardian 2 which automatically updates the block list every day. There it is chugging away blocking over 700,000,000 bad ips from connecting to your computer, and you are feeling secure.

Well -- the people trying to bust copyrighted file sharers are not idiots.
Everyone knows that thousands of peers are using ip blockers. If it was a secret it would be somewhat effective -- but its not.

Lets say that you are an IT professional that is working for a company that wants to discover and prosecute anyone who is dl their intellectual property.
How hard would it be for you to overcome an ip blocker?
Well you wakeup in the morning -- turn on your computer -- start BitCOmet -- initiatiie a torrent for the software or music or video or game file that you are paid to guard -- when the torrent is dl you click the peers tab and take a few screen shots of the ip addresses that show up there. You have now caught eveyone who is presently illegally distributing or copying you property -- including all those running an effective ip blocker. Or you could do it on you way to work -- you stop for a latte and conect to the free wireless net at the coffee shop. Or you get to work and have the sys admin generate a new range of ip addesses with a subnet mask and use these to do the same. Or you use one of the bogus "private" dsl accounts at your disposal, you rent a motel room with dsl -- the scenarios are endless and easy -- so easy to catch BitTorrent file sharers that the Riaa should award the developers a handsone stipend
Come on people ip blocking is worse than useless -- especially with a BitTorrent client. You don't even need any special hardware or software to keep a continuous log of everyone who is trafficing in your intellectual property.

at

#4 Darkness123

Darkness123

Cow-in-development

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 02:56 AM

Also PeerGuardian can slow down your PC. It has to look at every packet that comes into your PC if you download at like 800kb or something it has to look at all those packets.

#5 DzNutz

DzNutz

Pasture Blaster

• Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 08:39 PM

omg thanks for this. i never new about this function until now. i even deactivated that option because i saw the word "emule" and thought of TEH EVIL.

#6 Horo

Horo

Cow-in-development

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 01:52 AM

which one is the newest and best i should use? the shadow cast one or one form the link form above??

#7 Pro-Nub

Pro-Nub

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 04:12 AM

Pro's/Con's of PG2 and shadowcast

PeerGuardian 2
-auto updates it self
-protects your net conection (ie protected using any p2p program)
-uses 4.7mb of memory (stuff all anyway, but someone people are stingy)

Shadowcast
-doesn't auto update
-only protects bitcomet
-doesn't use any extra memory

#8 at

at

Cow-in-development

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 08:57 PM

If you are trusting your security to an ip blocker. You are a fool.

The person who wrote this article is misleading you.
They only block KNOWN bad addresses from connecting to your computer.
An ip pro can generate and utalize an unknown ip address faster than you can read this post. It may take weeks before it shows up on a block list.

But it is not even nesecessary to generate a new address to circumvent this form of protection. You could do it from your home computer, see my post above.

So I hope you are all feeling secure if you follow Sticky's instructions and think that's enough to protect you.

Other than the anonymous p2p networks that are in development -- not close to beta yet (see I2p etc http://board.planetpeer.de/index.php) there is no way to keep downloading activity secret, at present. And that is a fact Jac

This includes people sitting behind multiple routers with all the bells and whistles.

The truly anonymous encrypted netwoks such as I2p and TOR cannot yet handle the throughput necessary to dl big files.

Although I do recommend that you TORize your FireFox browser and use PeerGuardian 2 -- you are still quite vulnerable if you are dl from a p2p or a newsgroup even if you are using chained proxys.

Anonymous ISPs may work if you can stand the speed and extra expense.

You have a much better chance at this point of a legal defense as oppossed to a technological one. If someone would just stand up and win.

Other than that. I recomment NetFlix as a safe alterative to dl video, 'cause nobody give a shit if you rip a video that you rented as long as you don't share it online, or learn how to rip a digital broadcast from satellite radio if you are into tunes.

I have exhaustively researched this field and as of now these are the facts. Don't be lulled into a false sense of security by doofs.

#9 Blackrider

Blackrider

Cow-in-development

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 09:24 PM

I have just read the previous posts regarding security using BC.

Is BC secure? I know that you cant make it 100 per cent sucure, but if I am going to use it, I need to know that there is some security within the program itself. I keep both my firewall on and AVG going. I dont care if it slows down the download but I need to know that my computer is reasonable safe from people trying to read my files etc.

If anyone thinks I should download extra security for this site, please tell me what program that they would recommend.

Cheers

David :D

#10 desean84

desean84

Cow-in-development

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 01:30 PM

Shadowcast
-doesn't auto update
-only protects bitcomet
-doesn't use any extra memory

it's not completely true that it doesn't use any extra memory

i used to use ipfilter.dat with bitcomet too. it was updated by BlockList Manager by Bluetack, but my cpu usage always almost hit 100% when bitcomet is running. after reading the FAQ @ http://www.p2pforums...p=100523#100523, i use PG2 now and bitcomet barely use 2% of my cpu ;)

#11 hjfrank

hjfrank

Cow-in-development

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 05:13 AM

[code=auto:0]"ipfilter.dat" file is compatiable with eMule.....The home of the ShadowCast ipfilter can be found here.
I will keep and eye out for updates and update this thread whenever a new version comes out.

downloading.....

thanks a lot ! :P

#12 Guest_Arinor_*

Guest_Arinor_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2005 - 01:57 PM

Quote from ShadowCast:

NOTE: DO NOT USE ON ANY OTHER PROGRAM THAN EMULE/EDONKEY!
Bluetack does great work in making blocklists for apps
like protowall or Peerguardian, so use theirs for that!

Should ShadowCast ipfilter really be used with BitComet?

#13 grona

grona

Cow-in-development

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 07:39 PM

Ahh, the link for IPfilter.rev41.ShadowCast.rar no longer works.

#14 Dragosani

Dragosani

Pasture Blaster

• Members
  • 2,489 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 01:35 PM

Should ShadowCast ipfilter really be used with BitComet?

It still contains tons of IP addresses that are known to be bad for users of any P2P network and it works fine with BitComet, so there's no reason why you can't use it. But PeerGuardian 2 is still a better choice... It'll block known bad IPs from your entire computer, not just from BitComet. It also auto-updates the blocklists. Protowall is a good alternative to PeerGuardian.

Ahh, the link for IPfilter.rev41.ShadowCast.rar no longer works.

It does work, provided you don't disable or modify the referrer address (doing so will return a 403: Forbidden error to prevent other sites from hotlinking). This includes using a third-party download manager that strips the referrer or creates a custom one based on the download location. Just click the link on this page and download it with your browser.

It's been updated to revision 43 now btw.

#15 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2005 - 10:01 AM

http://users.on.net/... ... owCast.rar
link is broken :o

or server has mine ip adress in his ipfilter.dat 8)

#16 Dragosani

Dragosani

Pasture Blaster

• Members
  • 2,489 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 10:26 AM

I just downloaded it 5 secs ago -> works fine. Read my post above.

#17 WarriorSan

WarriorSan

Cow-in-development

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 06:44 PM

I just downloaded it 5 secs ago -> works fine. Read my post above.

Yep I also just downloaded..Thanks!

#18 Hommelus

Hommelus

Pasture Blaster

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 08:35 PM

http://users.on.net/... ... owCast.rar

or server has mine ip adress in his ipfilter.dat 8)

heh
probably, works fine here

#19 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2005 - 02:14 AM

Do I need IP filter if I'm firewalled?

Isn't it very easy to change your IP? Why IP filter?

#20 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2006 - 04:45 PM

link broken:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /~jsjamieson/BitComet/IPfilter.rev43.HOTFIX.ShadowCast.rar on this server.
Apache Server at users.on.net Port 80

Couldn't we just use the methlabs peerguardian in ed2k ipfilter.dat form?