•  

Welcome to PC Tech Talk

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to PC Tech Talk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of PC Tech Talk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

Connection issues when using bitcomet

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2006 - 08:35 PM

Hi, i wonder if you guys could help out... See i have a 2mbps dsl connection and i use a dlink router.. now for some reason, as soon as i start bitcomet, and start a download i lose the connection and have to restart my router..... what can i do?
i tried port forwarding, triggering, opening max ip connections from windows.. What could be wrong? maybe ive done something i shouldnt have or in a wrong way.. Any help is much appreciated :?

#2 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2006 - 02:46 PM

opening max ip connections

Does that mean you patched the TCP/IP?

Are you usinga firewall, if so which one. Also Windows Firewall tends to run in the background. Is your copy of windows up to date?

Does your D-Link router have a built in Firewall? http://www.portforward.com By the way, D-Link routers suck.

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2006 - 09:34 PM

yes did everyting... why dlink suck?
i was gonna get the DLINK WIRELESS GAMING ROUTER

#4 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2006 - 04:25 AM

Not all Dlink routers suck, though the two I have do DI-524, 624+
For me I just had to find the right firmware for them to work properly

See if there are any updates for your routers firmware
http://www.dlink.com/
And check here to read up on your router
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/dlink

Also have a read through my settings especially the part about the DHT Network.
http://www.p2pforums...pic.php?t=24731

#5 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2006 - 04:28 AM

This is strange enough to make me think maybe your ISP is shutting down the connection. You don't say which port you're using, but try it with a random port in the range of about 46000 to 65000 and see if that makes any difference.

If it doesn't, try (temporarily) a different bittorrent client like µtorrent and see what that does. I don't recommend you stay with it, but try it and see. (I will assume you've tried uninstalling BitComet completely and reinstalling it, naturally.)

As far as routers, for any brand you can find, there will be a horde of people who swear by it and another horde that swear at it. Any brand.

#6 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2006 - 12:35 AM

I have the same problem as well.

Once I start downloading i lose connection, but right away it connect again

I called Dlink and they were not much help. All they told me was try install BitComet on another computer and see if you have the same problem

#7 ploranger

ploranger

Cow-in-development

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 01:52 AM

I'm having the same problem too! This is why I was looking the posts on this forum.

I've been dowloading torrents for 2 years now and everything was going very well .. up until recently.

When I connect to BitComet (or even Limewire or similar softwares), I loose my internet connection after 1 hour or not even that much.

The only way to have the connection back is to reset my cable modem.

I haven't add anything new to my computer that could cause that. I even formatted the whole thing to see if that could correct the problem .. nada!

What's the use of having high-speed internet if I can't download anymore?!? If anybody has a great idea, let me know.

#8 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2006 - 02:07 AM

D-Link's Firewall is known for having problems. But yes, keep the firmware up to date and it shouldn't be a problem.

Nightgod & ploranger, it sounds like you're being throttled by your ISP.

#9 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2006 - 02:55 AM

I have a similar issue. I will start BC and at random intervals I lose my internet connection (and digital phone). After a month of trials...router/no router I called the cable company. I was told because of the numerous connections to each peer, this saturates my connection and I am dropped. My connection does not return. I have to power cycle my cable modem. The ONLY suggestion the tech could offer is only download one file at a time. I use Limewire Pro v4.10 and do not have this issue of dropped connections.

I suspect cable and dsl providers are catching on to home users "downloading" habits and trying to quietly curb them. "DAMN THIS VISTA BUILD IS TAKING FOREVER!" LOL

Seriously...it is.

Trying to see if I can limit my total connections to help with the disconnects. But I will say in my area (Rochester, NY) Roadrunner is becoming more finicky over my BC usage. And there is only ONE other person (business) that uses RR here. So it's not simple throttling.

#10 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2006 - 04:50 AM

I I was told because of the numerous connections to each peer, this saturates my connection and I am dropped.

I am trying very hard not to think unkind thoughts about your tech support...

and failing. Excuse me, "saturated"? Exactly what network condition does THAT technical term describe?

Let's see. You have a maximum amount of bandwidth available to you, which we can also think of as "packets per second". Your connection approaches, then reaches this maximum -- which is generally a lot less than what they told you it would be when they sold it to you, but nevermind -- and somebody tries to add more packets. What happens? The packets are held, or if held too long, dropped. Nothing more.

We're all hopefully pretty familiar with old-fashioned modems, yes? Now what happens if you try to "saturate" a modem? Wait a sec -- the modem carries what it carries, at a fixed speed. You can't "saturate" it, the term doesn't even mean anything in network context. You give it bigger and bigger files (more packets) to carry, and that changes absolutely nothing. It sends packets, however many packets there are, at it's constant speed, for as long as the computer on the other end is stuffing packets into the pipe, and then the modem stops modulating the carrier until more packets arrive.

A cable modem is no different. It doesn't "speed up" or "slow down" based on how much data is to be sent. It just sends it, always at the fastest speed it can attain, just like a standard non-cable modem. It isn't a water pipe that you can vary the pressure on. It's always going as fast as it possibly can at the moment. It does not "know" or have any way to become aware of, how much data is to be sent in total.

Modem or not, on any network, the source machine sends you a packet, then waits for you to say "Ok, got it". If you don't say that, then after a while, it sends the packet again. It will do this a few more times, then it will give up and "reset" the connection. Does "connection reset by peer" ring a bell? When that happens to your web browser, does that make your modem crash?

Now, should you actually start getting dropped packets (this can be tested for) and call RR about it, and you will meet some of the most, um, uninformed people you've ever stumbled across.

But let's assume your TS guy is the one person in the RR organization who does know what that means. So what is he telling you? That if you actually have the temerity to start using your line at it's rated capacity, they'll drop your connection? And that they're watching this, (even though they're provably NOT watching when the rest of their customers are losing packets right and left on faulty connections, until they are called and nagged about it)?

I, ah, question the veracity of that assertion, Doctor.

Ok, so what *is* really happening here? If it were a problem with your router handling the traffic, I can understand having to reset the router. But that would definitely not require resetting the modem.

Yet the connection is getting killed and it does require resetting the modem. What then? One obvious, if ugly thought is that RR is noting traffic which it can identify as bittorrent and killing connections that use it. You can evade this by using a listening port in the range of 46000-65535, instead of the default or standard ports some clients use. Do this anyway. The second thing is to enable encryption by default. They can't identify what's inside an encrypted packet.

If that makes the problem go away, intentional filtering seems very likely. (But I don't think that's the case. If they were throttling you, then things would be slow, but that would not, by itself, kill your connection. If they were filtering you, then nothin
g should get through at all, but again it wouldn't by itself kill your connection.)

If it doesn't, as it probably won't, then you likely have a connectivity problem on the cable network, the modem is getting overloaded with noise or over/under strength signals and eventually dropping the connection -- which problem you will have to fight with RR about.

If you have the option, I suggest you drop cable internet and get ADSL instead. It's cheaper, equally fast (despite contrary assertions by RR), works much better and has far better support. The phone companies have been doing digital since the 1950's, while digital cable TV is a relative newbie.

If you just can't switch, then you'll have to nag, whine, moan and biatch until RR finally tries to fix it -- a process that can be very entertaining. Ineffective, but entertaining. After only a couple of months you might actually get somebody to admit that, yes, there's a problem on this line. After a couple more months, they might actually do something that fixes it. Or not.

I suggest you never mention or admit to using bittorrent. It places no more or less of a load on the network than downloading by http or ftp, but they will try to use it as an excuse to do nothing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users