•  

I am in college, behind firewall how to connect..

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2006 - 01:59 PM

Hi every body, I have installed Ares Lite 2.0.0.0, When I try to connect... it could not. I am behind the firewall of the college and as far as I know they have blocked the Ares and Kazza ports, or they have implemented some sort of security. By the way we can browsw, send email, open yahoo messenger and rest, but cannot connect Ares or Kazza P2P software....
I even tried some free proxy server available on the Internet as I read on Internet, but could not help either.

Please help me.... how to do it...

#2 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2006 - 09:28 PM

A lot of college lans block this stuff, some better than others.

I'd recommend you switch to Bittorrent and try BitComet since its the only client with a full version of NAT Traversial (set to auto detect) to get around firewalls.

Once µTorrent gets their version out of the alpha stage switch to their client. 8)

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2006 - 08:40 PM

You can try changing the port on whatever client you use to one that is used commonly by something that your college allows, like MSN messengers port i think its 1863 or WoW port 3724. But if your college has any decent filtering then it will still block you.

Frostwire and Bearshare both have good NAT Traversal implementations.

Whatever you do dont get the latest Bearshare though, if you plan on trying Bearshare get this one instead.

You should be careful though cause even if you get sharing working the network admins will still be able to see how much data is being transfered over your connection if you have to log into your LAN or you connect to the wall in your dormroom then they will know who you are. So if you get it working dont use it toooo much.

#4 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2006 - 04:50 AM

First and Foremost Solution,

Use ARES Galaxy (Not ARES Lite) from http://aresgalaxy.sf.net/
The production and support for ARES Lite has been stopped a long time back. So chances are that you would end up with no connectivity. (Need More Reason?).

and Whilst using ARES Galaxy.. If your ports are blocked by System Admin.. dont worry.. just continue using. Ares Chooses a random port for listening and many TCP and UDP for transferreing. If that doest help you in connecting, just use a Proxy (free proxy doesnt help, get a better one) and set it up trough Control Panel > Network.
That should do the trick.

#5 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2006 - 04:40 PM

Windows Live Once care ms version of firewall antiviruse and tuneup package. this program by defaults blocks kaza and i found even thou allow permission to grant acess it does not ..... I am sure MS and Reaa have worked this out to limit file share lol

#6 Steve0

Steve0

Cow-in-development

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 07:53 PM

A lot of college lans block this stuff, some better than others.
Very right!

#7 kluelos

kluelos

Pasture Blaster

• Members
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 12:18 PM

Steve8, replying to a post that's two years old is called "necroposting", and is generally both pointless and frowned upon. It's even worse when you don't really have anything to add to that long-dead discussion. You should pay attention to the date of what you're replying to, and avoid necroposting.

#8 Shaddow

Shaddow

Pasture Blaster

• Members
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:18 AM

Steve8, replying to a post that's two years old is called "necroposting", and is generally both pointless and frowned upon. It's even worse when you don't really have anything to add to that long-dead discussion. You should pay attention to the date of what you're replying to, and avoid necroposting.

steve0 Banned...

Someone near the top found him annoying enough...

#9 Dark Shroud

Dark Shroud

Pasture Blaster

• Premier Member
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 03:18 PM

Probably because all he did was spam necropost.

#10 Guest_Snow123_*

Guest_Snow123_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2008 - 12:09 AM

If your ports are blocked by System Admin.. dont worry.. just continue using. Ares Chooses a random port for listening and many TCP and UDP for transferreing. If that doest help you in connecting, just use a Proxy (free proxy doesnt help, get a better one) and set it up trough Control Panel > Network. ;)