• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PyroniC

PyroniC

Pasture Blaster

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 03:43 PM

Okay, so I'm trying to download something, and I noticed that on four separate trackers -

demonoid

torrentleech

araditracker

torrent-damage

that the SAME EXACT FILE is offered.

So I get the idea in my head - y'know, since it's the same info at all four places, why don't I download from the seeds of all four of those trackers at once to get the file, thus increasing my potential speed?

Problem is, while simply going to the tracker site and running their torrent and beginning the download works fine..

if I right click on the resulting entry in utorrent and select properties and copy the info under "trackers"...

and I do this for each one, and combine them in one torrent and set the thing running...

as the status tab switches from tracker to tracker, I get different errors, like "Unregistered torrent" or "invalid torrent."

Is there a way to do what I'm wanting to do? Seems like such a waste of potential seeders if I truly am limited to downloading from only part of the peers that are out there on the wide, wide 'net.

#2 Drake

Drake

Pasture Blaster

• Members
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 06:08 PM

Torrentleech uses a passkey system that associates a username to the torrent file. I think torrent damage is a private site as well so they probably use a private flag on their torrents so that only registered members can access them.

You can combine public trackers if the files are exactly the same, but it won't work with private trackers.

#3 orangesoda

orangesoda

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 01:16 AM

hey i do the same think but here is what you do

1. download torrent from every site
2. if there is 24 RAR'd parts and 4 sites, download 6 parts from each tracker

when theyre all finished, force recheck on all of them

it should download fine, but sometimes when you upload later the files mess up and say they cant find certain file parts (even when the extracted files are fine), you just force reheck and it will fix it (for a while) or if you want to be totally safe you can copy the files into separate folders but thats really space comsuming.

i typed this fast, so if you need an clarification just ask

#4 kluelos

kluelos

Pasture Blaster

• Members
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 11:40 AM

Once a torrent is created, no essential part of it can be changed without remaking the torrent.

This is a good thing. If it could be changed, then I could substitute my virus-laden pong.exe file into my download directory and have bittorrent spread my virus for me.

When you add a tracker url, the torrent hash no longer matches, so the client is going to barf.

Your best option is simply to enable DHT. It will find all the other swarm members who are using DHT, regardless of tracker.

#5 PyroniC

PyroniC

Pasture Blaster

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 01:43 AM

I wish utorrent supported DHT. :-\

#6 uvanator

uvanator

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 02:33 AM

it does, doesn't it? preferences, bittorrent, enable DHT network.

#7 kluelos

kluelos

Pasture Blaster

• Members
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 11:47 AM

Yes, it does. Azureus does too but, at last check, an incompatible version. There was talk of bringing Azureus into compliance with BitTorrent, µtorrent and BitComet's version, but I hadn't heard that that was actually done yet.

#8 PyroniC

PyroniC

Pasture Blaster

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 09:20 PM

Ahhh, it's UDP I was thinking of utorrent not supporting, not DHT.

#9 Dark Shroud

Dark Shroud

Pasture Blaster

• Premier Member
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 09:40 PM

DHT uses UDP. µTorrent went with the DHT version Cohen released just like BitComet did. Azureus had already made their own version that allow meta links.

µTorrent doesn't support the UDP tracker options because they say it was done badly. WIth the quality of µTorrent I'll trust their programing judgement.