• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 bob_e70

bob_e70

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:15 PM

Hey guys/girls,

I never seemed to have a problem connecting to P2P networks until about 1 month ago.... for no particular reason.

I now find that I am unable to connect to any P2P (kazaa, bearshare, etc) or torrent download programs (Azuraus).

I have turned off my router, windows and Mcafee firwalls and still I am unable to connect to download.

My internet connection and speed seems fine..... im not sure what else to do.... any ideas anyone?

(Windows XP, SP2, Belkin router)

Thanks......

#2 bob_e70

bob_e70

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:16 PM

LOKUST REPLIED...............................

are you at an educational establishment? do you connect through an isp, if so which?

how old is your router? when was the last time you updated the driver for it?

have you got a current version of the azeureus program?

have you changed anything, ie hardware/software/drivers/upgraded internet connection?

what port do you use for port forwarding?

I probably have more questions to be honest but that will do for now.

personally im not a great fan of azuereus, so i don't have enough experience to help you with it if that is the problem. however you mentioned that its all the different networks you use not just bittorent.

depending on your answers i might ask you to get bitcomet or utorrent so i can better diagnose whether its your settings, your network, your isp or one of the other possible problems.

#3 bob_e70

bob_e70

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:16 PM

are you at an educational establishment?

No i'm at home.

do you connect through an isp, if so which?

My ISP is Homecall, I have been using them for a couple of years with no problem.

how old is your router? when was the last time you updated the driver for it?

The Belkin router is about 1 year old, I have never updated the drivers... that i am aware of.

have you got a current version of the azeureus program?

I installed Azureus about 2 months ago, it runs an update everytime I run it, so i think it will be the current version...

have you changed anything, ie hardware/software/drivers/upgraded internet connection?

The only thing that I can think of is that I added a laptop to my home network recently..... could that affect it though?!?

what port do you use for port forwarding?

I have tried various ports, normally the default ports for each program are used, i.e. 65000 for limewire, i think?

Also, i noticed that my limewire screen shows a brickwall on it, this means that it has detected a firwall..... but i had turned all of them off.... i think....

Thanks for your input.....

#4 lokust

lokust

Pasture Blaster

• Members
  • 709 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:37 PM

your aware that your router probably has an inbuilt firewall, its possible that adding the laptop to your network screwed the dns system, so find out what ip you system is running on, then check that youve port forwarded using that ip address.

ie 192.168.1.1
or 192.168.1.2
will be the usual local network ip assignments. when you added your laptop you could have given it your computers old ip address and assigned your computer a new one. i had a similar problem some time ago, the ports you forwarded will be expected for use by the laptop while you normal computer finds itself unable to open ports.

dejavu is a strange thing

#5 bob_e70

bob_e70

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 08:03 PM

Looking at my Mcafee network manager it says the following....

My router IP = 192.168.2.1

My PC IP = 192.168.2.5

Laptop IP = 192.168.2.2

Xbox 360 IP = 192.168.2.3

But im sure my PC IP has changed again over the last couple of days...

I have disabled my routers firewall and Windows and Mcafees.

So what IP should I use when port forwarding, the routers or the PCs?

I have installed BitComet if that helps..... but that don't connect either :(

#6 lokust

lokust

Pasture Blaster

• Members
  • 709 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:05 PM

your pcs ip address is the ip you need to forward ports on, but trust me on this, activate windows firewall, it may be lame but its a better idea than going commando for any extended period.

ie 192.168.1.5

typing ipconfig into msdos will tell you what your pcs current local address is.

#7 bob_e70

bob_e70

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:19 PM

Thanks.....

I have forwarded port 65100 for my PC IP address and now I have a download with BitComet, only 29Kbps, but its better than nothing!! :)

Limewire is still unable to connect, even though I have forwarded a port for it.... any more ideas?

#8 lokust

lokust

Pasture Blaster

• Members
  • 709 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 10:17 PM

im no expert on lime wire either, id have to look into it further, but have you changed the ip address like you did with azuereus yet?

you may want to test your open ports at http://www.canyouseeme.org.

lower your port number to something in between 50000 to 60000.

#9 kluelos

kluelos

Pasture Blaster

• Members
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 04:47 AM

You need to look at your network connection's properties.
From there, select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and look at its properties.

It will show either "Obtain an IP address automatically", or "Use the following IP address". One or the other will be selected.

If it's the former, then the computer asks the router for an IP address each time it connects. That can be a different address each time, and that address assignment can expire out from under you, whereupon you'll be assigned a new one, without any notification to you at all.

Your router will only open a port to a specific address. Your computer had better be at that address, or it won't work. But if your address changes all the time, you can see that there will be a problem.

MSCONFIG will tell you only what your IP address is at this moment, not what it will be at any point in the future and not how long it will still be that one.

You can hopefully see that you need an IP address for your computer that does not change.

#10 bob_e70

bob_e70

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 09:42 AM

OK, I can change the IP settings, but I am also asked to set my DNS server.... how do I find these details?

#11 bob_e70

bob_e70

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 05:28 PM

I have set my DNS to 192.168.2.1 and it all seems to be working....

Limewire and Bitcomet are both connecting, but only seem to be downloading at around 1Kbps!!??

I have green lights on Bitcomet, so that seems fine.

I have opened ports for both programs and checked them the 'port website' suggested above.

But why such slow downloads?

#12 lokust

lokust

Pasture Blaster

• Members
  • 709 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 05:36 PM

somewhere your settings arnt right,
open bitcomet, at the bottom of the main page is a list, summary, trackers, files, peers, chat logs and statistics.
click on logs then statistics, copy and paste the info from both here.

#13 bob_e70

bob_e70

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 05:40 PM

I don't seem to have a 'Log' option.... but this is what my 'Statistics' say........

Overall Tasks: Total:6 / Running: 6

TCP Connections: Established: 69 [MAX:No Limit] / Half-Open: 11 [MAX:10]
LAN IP: 192.168.2.2
WAN IP: 88.109.165.195
Listen Port of TCP: 10572
Listen Port of UDP: 10572
Windows Firewall: Added
NAT port mapping: Added

Overall Download Rate: 4 kB/s Max Connection Limits: 50 per task
Overall Upload Rate: 9 kB/s Upload slots: 6

Disk Cache Size: 24 MB (Min: 6 MB, Max: 50 MB)
Free Phys Mem: 1.33 GB (Min: 50 MB)

#14 lokust

lokust

Pasture Blaster

• Members
  • 709 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 05:54 PM

half of it, but i need your logs and your statistics, thats the log.

#15 bob_e70

bob_e70

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 05:57 PM

I cant seem to find the Logs tab, only statistics.....

Sorry for being so stupid! where is it? :oops:

#16 carpefile

carpefile

Ugly where it counts

• Premier Member
  • 3,595 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 06:07 PM

Sorry to interject, but HomeCall is known to use traffic shaping.

Not much you can do but ineffectively bitch to them about it, use encryption in your bit client (somewhat effective), or switch to alternative methods unaffected by traffic shaping (irc, newsgroups, private sharing via im, onshare, waste, etc.)

Or switch isp's.

#17 bob_e70

bob_e70

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 06:30 PM

What is traffic shaping? I'm guessing, Homecall limit my P2P traffic?

Also, what is this encryption, where can this be found?

#18 carpefile

carpefile

Ugly where it counts

• Premier Member
  • 3,595 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 07:13 PM

P2P users usually eat the lion's share of an isp's bandwidth. We also tend to go global in our sharing, using costlier out of network resources far more often than plain jane surfers do.

So many isp's have taken to blocking p2p traffic by protocol. If the system they use recognizes your traffic as bittorrent, or gnutella, etc. they block it.

Many bittorrent clients offer an encryption feature now that masks the protocol, defeating efforts to block it. You will suffer speed loss when using it though, because you are limiting your connections to others also using encryption.

If it were me, I'd be checking into other available isp's, particularly since you are a residential user and actually have options, unlike those stuck in a college network.

#19 lokust

lokust

Pasture Blaster

• Members
  • 709 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 07:49 PM

yeah id agree with carpefile on this one, you need encryption on.

btw it was the statistics tab you were missing not the logs, part you part me on that one. your log looks ok to me so id assume carpefiles hit the nail on the head. i havnt heard of homecall before, and assumed it wasnt them since you were getting a good download until recently.

#20 bob_e70

bob_e70

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 09:15 PM

But like you said, I have been getting fairly decent download speeds until just recently, so I never thought it could be Homecall.

Saying that, I have friends with different ISP's downloading the same things as me, but at a faster rate..... so you could both be correct.

Thanks for your help through this.... let me know if you think of anything else though.