5 replies to this topic

#1 kazaa

kazaa

Cow-in-development

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 06:48 AM

Hi,

How do i use Emule without a router but just with a cable modem? Is there any sites i need to go to for downloading just like what i do with BitTorrents? With BitTorrent i go to a site and download the torrent file then i load it into my client. Is Emule the same way? How do i not share using Emule the files i downloaded? Only the files i download i want to share. Not where i have to upload to share. Just what people are downloading and sharing at the same time and that's all. Where do i download Emule from?

#2 Skittles Goddess

Skittles Goddess

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 03:32 PM

First, get eMule from http://www.emule-project.net. Second, the only difference a router would make is that you would need to forward your ports. If you have a firewall, you will have to set it to allow eMule to make connections. Third, no, you do not download anything like a torrent. You can go to sites that have hashlinks, which will get eMule to download specific files, but you can just search with eMule.

As for not sharing, don't be a leech. If no one shared, you wouldn't be able to get what you wanted. You will automatically be sharing everything you're downloading.

#3 kazaa

kazaa

Cow-in-development

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 07:06 PM

First, get eMule from http://www.emule-project.net. Second, the only difference a router would make is that you would need to forward your ports. If you have a firewall, you will have to set it to allow eMule to make connections. Third, no, you do not download anything like a torrent. You can go to sites that have hashlinks, which will get eMule to download specific files, but you can just search with eMule.

As for not sharing, don't be a leech. If no one shared, you wouldn't be able to get what you wanted. You will automatically be sharing everything you're downloading.

OK thank you. I am running the ZA free firewall version. How do i set it up to accept my connections and ports? I just did a test on my ports with eMule and the test failed.

#4 Skittles Goddess

Skittles Goddess

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 09:41 PM

I haven't used ZoneAlarm in a very long time, so I don't remember any specifics on how to set it up. Make sure that both the TCP and UDP ports are being given permission. If you are on Windows XP, make sure that the built in internal firewall isn't blocking eMule. I did a quick search on ZoneAlarm's help forums and the free edition does seem to have conflicts with eMule, but just check those things first.

#5 Dark Shroud

Dark Shroud

Pasture Blaster

• Premier Member
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 01:19 AM

Zonealarm is a garbage firewall especially if you run p2p apps. You should just ditch it. Windows firewall runs well enough. If you want something stronger you can get Comodo which is one of the best firewalls period. It just requires a bit of work. A good slightly easier firewall to use is Kerio aka Sun Belt.

#6 capslock

capslock

Cow-in-development

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 06:19 PM

1.download emule(you can get from http://www.emule-project.net. )
2.setup
3.next
4.still next
It's easy!