• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 blinkchester

blinkchester

Cow-in-development

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 11:24 PM

I don't mean to be rude, but i don't know if i can ask here.

Does anyone know if www.sharethefiles.com is down

I use the site for a lot, and haven't been able to access it for 48 hours

Thanks if anyone can help

#2 carpefile

carpefile

Ugly where it counts

• Premier Member
  • 3,595 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:33 AM

Its not rude, just uninformed is all. I personally have no idea, but this site can help you out any time you are wondering if a site is down.
http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

#3 kluelos

kluelos

Pasture Blaster

• Members
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 04:00 AM

I tried it for that particular site. I'm afraid "downforme" isn't ready for prime time.

It tells me "Huh? doesn't look like a site on the interwho. "

Trying sharethefiles directly gives me one of my favorite "the site is down" errors, "the connection was reset while the page was loading." (We used to get that constantly when the old BitComet forums site had crashed again.)

So if "downforme" doesn't recognize this error, thinks it's not even a web site, adds to the confusion (especially with that too-cute message) rather than clarifying the issue, and there's no link to report it to, nobody you can contact at downforme to say "hey, you guys got a fundamental problem here":

and especially that downforme won't tell you what actually happened when it tried;

then I'm afraid that "downforme" looks like a failure. Too bad, the basic idea would have been useful.

#4 blinkchester

blinkchester

Cow-in-development

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 11:14 PM

cheers for the site link, the site is definitely down.

Strange though, sometimes when they go off, a message is on the front page explaining and saying they'll be back soon.

No idea whats happened :(

#5 Angel07

Angel07

Cow-in-development

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 03:42 PM

I get the same information. I hope they are not down for good, was the ultmative source for older stuff.

#6 carpefile

carpefile

Ugly where it counts

• Premier Member
  • 3,595 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 04:21 PM

I tried it for that particular site. I'm afraid "downforme" isn't ready for prime time.

It tells me "Huh? doesn't look like a site on the interwho. "

Trying sharethefiles directly gives me one of my favorite "the site is down" errors, "the connection was reset while the page was loading." (We used to get that constantly when the old BitComet forums site had crashed again.)

So if "downforme" doesn't recognize this error, thinks it's not even a web site, adds to the confusion (especially with that too-cute message) rather than clarifying the issue, and there's no link to report it to, nobody you can contact at downforme to say "hey, you guys got a fundamental problem here":

and especially that downforme won't tell you what actually happened when it tried;

then I'm afraid that "downforme" looks like a failure. Too bad, the basic idea would have been useful.

The basic idea is useful. Its the same as asking a buddy to check the site for you, only you don't need a buddy for it.
It simply tries to access the site. If it can it says it can, if it can't it says "Huh?"

Its a very simple tool, its not meant to try and explain what happened to a site, merely whether its accessible or not.

#7 kluelos

kluelos

Pasture Blaster

• Members
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 07:42 PM

Nah, not even a nice try. They should hang their heads in shame and take the site down.

i don't expect it to do anything beyond its very small obvious mission, but it can't even do that right.
Telling me "that's not a web site" is stupid, and it's wrong.

Guys, it is a web site.
Guys, you're morons for failing to recognize that. Since this error's a common occurrence, it really does make your site feeble and worthless. Go back to school, or start over, or something. Pull the plug. You flunk.

Reminds me of MSIE's default error, which is basically, "The page can't be loaded, and that must be your fault".
At least with MsIE you can scroll down to find out what actually happened, buried in the fine print. Can't even do that with this site.

At least if there's an obvious problem, you can contact somebody at Microsoft about it. These guys hide behind their site to avoid any responsibility for it.

Nope, complete failure, even at this tiny mission.

#8 mrwonka

mrwonka

Cow-in-development

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 07:24 PM

Share the Files will be back
heres is the official info from the Sharethefiles IRC

"Welcome to ShareTheFiles. com's Official IRC Channel | | | Site Status: Down for a few days. Host move, ETA unknown, site will be back don't panic."

Hope this helps you guys out