• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 damned317

damned317

Cow-in-development

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 02:58 AM

I use uTorrent 1.8.4 and have forwarded my port properly and allowed in windows firewall. I can only download from freetorrent.ru and NO OTHER TRACKERS WILL WORK. My DHT is constantly 0 nodes and waiting for announce. I have tried good torrents to bootstrap onto DHT, but nothing works. This severly limits what I can download and I did not have this problem with earlier versions of uTorrent. Can anyone help?

#2 kluelos

kluelos

Pasture Blaster

• Members
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 06:45 AM

The DHT system uses UDP to communicate, and the most common reason for the zero-peer situation is that you have not enabled UDP in your firewall, for your chosen listen port. The port must be opened to receive both TCP and UDP. Some firewalls refer to this combination as "both", others refer to it as "all", while most refer to it as "TCP/UDP".

This does not account for your inability to connect to other trackers, just your DHT connections. DHT is an alternative to, and does not involve, any tracker whatever.

When a torrent is created, the maker can choose to disable DHT for that torrent, and this choice cannot be overridden. Many people are discovering why this was a bad idea, with the Demonoid outage. THose torrents that did support DHT, are still continuing, while those that did not, and used only that tracker, stopped in short order.

#3 damned317

damned317

Cow-in-development

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:45 PM

I have windows firewall and I do have UDP and TCP both allowed. I did the port checker from portforward.com and it says that both UDP and TCP are open. Although when I ran the Glasnost traffic shaping test it said that I was'nt being throttled by my ISP but none the less there was a problem with my connection. I am really at a loss here. Never have I went this long and tried so many different things and still not figured out the problem. I have tried to change advanced settings one by one but no luck. I have also tried to recreate the rules in my firewall but to no avail. DHT was working fine one day and the next it just was'nt there. Same with my tracker situation. I went through my router and checked all the settings and it all appears to be fine. What is the first thing you think I should do to try to remedy this problem?

#4 kluelos

kluelos

Pasture Blaster

• Members
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 01:01 AM

You could start by describing your connection. You might also see if you can get more information from the Glasnost test, any idea of what they mean by "a problem".

#5 damned317

damned317

Cow-in-development

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 04:16 AM

My connection is a 3Mbit wireless service from my local telephone company, WMTEL. My computer is directly wired to my router which is a Netgear RangeMax Wireless WPN824. The Glasnost test only told me that no Bittorrent transfer could be made. I looked for specifics on the site and found nothing. Is there another more detailed test I can run? I run Norton antivirus but that never messed up my torrent traffic before so I don't think that should have changed. And why the luck with one tracker but no others? Thank you for any help.

#6 kluelos

kluelos

Pasture Blaster

• Members
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 03:52 PM

When you do attempt a torrent from a public tracker, what error message do you get from the tracker?

#7 damned317

damned317

Cow-in-development

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 07:01 PM

About 90% of them say "connection closed by peer" and the other 10% say "offline: timed out". Today I also noticed that I was able to get a scrape off of one and that is the first time that has happened.

#8 kluelos

kluelos

Pasture Blaster

• Members
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 11:49 PM

That message usually means that the service (the tracker's underlying web server, in this case) isn't running right then, isn't using that particular port anymore, or it has crashed or been shut down -- basically that there's nothing on that server that is listening to that port that can respond to the protocol of the message you sent. On the good side, that does usually suggest that you're successfully getting through to the system it runs on.

Which trackers have you tried to connect to?

#9 damned317

damned317

Cow-in-development

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:36 AM

Lots of different trackers," denis.stalker.h3q.com, tracker.bittorrent.am, tracker.openbittorent.com, tracker.publicbt.com, tracker.piratebay.com, genesis.1337x.org, nemesis.1337x.org all say "connection closed by peer". I am able to get "scrape ok" from "9.rarbg.com, freetorrent.ru, pow7.com, tracker ilibr.com, h33t.com, zen7.ph. The scrape total is higher than it was yesterday so that is cool, but I still always need to use "freetorrent.ru" to begin a torrent or else it is "connection closed by peer" all of the time. And still 0 nodes for DHT.

#10 kluelos

kluelos

Pasture Blaster

• Members
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 08:19 PM

If you're getting a successful scrape, then you also get a list of peers interested in sharing the torrent, which list is the reason for the tracker's existence. After you've got it, you're done with the tracker. Now it's up to the peers to open communication with each other, you contacting some of them, some of them contacting you, and this is the "peer-to-peer" part of things. Before this point, it has all been standard http communication with a web server.

Are you getting those peer lists from the trackers who are saying, "scrape OK"? If you aren't, this indicates that you are likely trying to download a "dead" torrent -- one which everyone else has lost interest in/is no longer up-or-downloading. Some trackers are very good about pruning these, which would give you an "unrecognized torrent" message from the tracker. Many are not though, and keep dead torrents for a long time. There is nothing you can do with a dead torrent. Perhaps it will wake up someday, if a seeder starts seeding it again, but that seldom happens.

Another possibility in this is that your ISP is blocking access to particular addresses known to be trackers. In order to detect this, use the command-line "ping" or "tracert" utilities, to see if you can reach them at all.

#11 damned317

damned317

Cow-in-development

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 01:46 AM

What are some common trackers ip addresses? I want to try your suggestion but I am having trouble finding their addresses anywhere online. Could my ISP be messing with the DHT network as well? I still don't understand why I can no longer get any nodes from DHT.

#12 kluelos

kluelos

Pasture Blaster

• Members
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:46 AM

The whole web tries to stay away from IP addresses as such. That's what the whole dynamic DNS system is for, after all.

Try finding some recent torrents on The Pirate Bay, IsoHunt,and from mininova, which will use a variety of popular trackers. On Mininova avoid torrents with a small, red capital P to the right of the name, this indicates a private tracker.

Try also using BitComet instead of µtorrent and see if DHT works with that.

#13 Dark Shroud

Dark Shroud

Pasture Blaster

• Premier Member
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 03:29 AM

Lots of different trackers," denis.stalker.h3q.com, tracker.bittorrent.am, tracker.openbittorent.com, tracker.publicbt.com, tracker.piratebay.com, genesis.1337x.org, nemesis.1337x.org all say "connection closed by peer". I am able to get "scrape ok" from "9.rarbg.com, freetorrent.ru, pow7.com, tracker ilibr.com, h33t.com, zen7.ph. The scrape total is higher than it was yesterday so that is cool, but I still always need to use "freetorrent.ru" to begin a torrent or else it is "connection closed by peer" all of the time. And still 0 nodes for DHT.

Some of those trackers have been closed down, mainly the piratebay.

#14 damned317

damned317

Cow-in-development

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 05:37 AM

Thank you for the advice. I want DHT tostart working agaih tough,any help with this?

#15 kluelos

kluelos

Pasture Blaster

• Members
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:40 AM

TPB was back that evening and is still running.

Obtain a recent torrent from TPB and see if you can get DHT working with it. Don't try to do it by IP address, do it by name. Don't try to do it with a torrent you downloaded sometime in the past, get a new torrent today. Then see what DHT says. If it reports, "Not allowed", then get a different torrent.

#16 damned317

damned317

Cow-in-development

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 12:10 AM

Tried a popular and well seeded torrent from pirate bay but no peers are responding or the tracker is responding yet after a few minutes. I did notice that a few of my downloads have succeeded but now I have many thousands of peers on some other torrents but not even a single one is uploading from me. My status icon is now going back and forth between green circle to the yellow triangle. I used to get the green circle almost 100% of the time. It is green about 50% of the time and yellow triangle the other half of the time. DHT still "waiting for announce" and I still have 0 nodes.

#17 kluelos

kluelos

Pasture Blaster

• Members
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 04:43 AM

Try posting a screenshot of the peers screen, maybe that will provide some ideas.

#18 cassie

cassie

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 992 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 03:32 PM

I've been trying to download from the Pirate Bay for about 4 days now, and always get the "Can't Connect Tracker (10060)" error message (I'm assuming that it's down because of that incident forcing TPB to shut down, recently and 'relocate??'.)

Since I'm using a different client, I simply decided to implement DHT - it's slow but, at least, I do get some of the downloads to complete... in time (and with lots of patience). :)

#19 damned317

damned317

Cow-in-development

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 07:45 PM

Having big time trouble putting a screenshot here. Followed online advice and simply cannot get the image to paste here. The good news is I am now connecting to tons of peers for nearly every one of my torrents. DHT still won't work though. If I could get that to work I would be ecstatic. All the trackers still say connection closed by peer or offline.

#20 kluelos

kluelos

Pasture Blaster

• Members
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 07:59 PM

i've also been having a lot of trouble connecting to TPB trackers and usually cannot. Fortunately, most recently-made torrents include alternative trackers like openbittorrent's, and of course DHT. I do hope TPB solves their problem soon, though.

You don't "paste an image" here. You insert an url pointing to the image, from whatever site you've decided to host the image at, using the IMG tag from the toolbar that appears above the editor.

The image is always stored on another site, not on this server. (That fact has bitten us, a couple of times.) However, it also means that you maintain possession and control of it, so we don't get into those issues.