I2PBote 0.1.2 released

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 santos

santos

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:37 PM

The version 0.1.2 of I2PBote was released.
I2PBote is a anonymous email application based on kademlia network which works over I2P anonymous network.
This is a first public test version, expect difficulties and problems.
Find more information on: http://i2pbote.i2p

Tentative task list
For 0.1.3:

* After startup, Wait 3 minutes before connecting(Done)
* Change the paths in the build file from /opt/... to ../i2p/... (Done)
* Fix: "Check Mail" button doesn't show new emails, user has to reload inbox (Not done)
* Fix: high cpu usage when sending or receiving (Not done)

For 0.1.4:

* green/red/yellow status icon on main page, move #peers to a separate page (Not done)
* stale counter / dead peer ejection (Not done)
* explain mail identity, mail address, mail destination, i2p destination in techdoc.txt (Not done)

For 0.2:

* Kademlia replication (Not done)
* Speed up storing / retrieving (Not done)
* Progress feedback when sending / receiving mail (Not done)
* Deletion of retrieved packets (Not done)

1) Introduction

I2P-Bote is a serverless pseudonymous email exchange service for the I2P network. Emails are
stored encrypted on other I2P-bote nodes.
There is a SMTP/POP interface [TO BE IMPLEMENTED] to use with an email client, and a web interface
[TO BE IMPLEMENTED] that lets you change settings or send/read email.

Email can be sent through a number of other nodes (relays) for increased security, or directly to
a set of storage nodes for faster delivery. The same applies to retrieving email.
All nodes are created equal. There are no "supernodes" or designated relay/storage nodes.
Everybody acts as a potential relay and storage node. The maximum amount of disk space used for
relayed/stored email packets can be configured by the user.
Before an email is sent to a relay, it is broken up into packets and encrypted with the recipient's
public key.

Email packets are stored redundantly in a distributed hash table (DHT). Stored email packets are
kept for at least 100 days, during which the recipient can download them.
For relays, the guaranteed retention time is only 7 days.
If a node runs out of email storage space, and there are no old packets that can be deleted, the
node refuses storage requests.

Email addresses are entered in the format "username@domain.i2p"; they must match an entry in the
local address book or the distributed email directory. An exception are addresses of the form
"dest_key@bote.i2p", where dest_key is a 516-byte base64-encoded email keypair. No lookup is done
for these addresses; the dest_key part is directly used for routing the email.

Posted Image

Forum Discussion for Feedback:
http://forum.i2p2.de...opic.php?t=3885